Kansas City has so many fun and exciting things to offer. Even though it is known for barbecue, jazz, and fountains, there are so many other amazing things!
Are you into sports? Kauffman Stadium-Home of the 2015 World Series Champs holds so many great memories!! Opening Days, Fireworks Fridays, and the best Opening Day EVER when the Royals and the Chiefs played on the same day!
Speaking of the Chiefs-Arrowhead is an updated stadium with an atmosphere like no other! We once saw a wedding in the parking lot while we tailgated on the coldest day of the year. Sometimes the weather calls for car gating instead of tailgating, but there is always some form of partying before and after the game. The Seattle Seahawks try to battle KC for the Guinness Book Record for LOUDEST stadium, but the Chiefs have been victorious and currently hold the record at 142.2 decibels. Kristi, Steph and Leslie were there both times the Chiefs grabbed the record. Basically we put them over the edge and killed our voices for the next few days!
Other Sports Teams that are also a blast to attend:
Sporting KC for a crazy atmosphere with the best chants
T Bones for a cheap and fun night at the ballpark
Kansas Speedway for you racing fans
Even a hockey team, the Missouri Mavericks if that's your thing!
Boulevard Brewery is the biggest craft brewery, but there are tons of local breweries popping up around town. Check out our Libations page for our must try selections at many local spots. The restaurant scene is also starting to get some national recognition too.
For a casual meal some of our faves include:
1. Joes KC-ummmm, amazing BBQ what more can I say?!?!?!?
2. Blue Moose-every Thursday you can find us here having $2 Stellas
3. Lulu's Noodles-great local place that has great Thai food and a relaxed atmosphere. Perfect stop if you attend First Friday. (On the First Friday of every month, tons of people fill the sidewalks of the Crossroads to enjoy arts organizations, galleries, studios, and a wide variety of local businesses featuring artists. There is also no shortage of live entertainment.)
4. Waldo Pizza-local beers + PIZZA = Winning Combination
6. District Pour House-they make some delicious craft cocktails and have a fabulous downstairs where you can have birthday parties or bachelorette dinners.
7. Beer Kitchen-Honest Food and Carefully Selected Beer-They have great burgers and if you're in for breakfast/brunch the Drunken Donuts are a must-mini fried donuts with a grand marnier chocolate dipping sauce
8. Barrel 31-you know...the place where we eat brunch every other weekend!!
For some mid-range to nicer restaurants that are unique to KC, check out any of these:
1. La Bodega-amazing tapas and sangria
2. Pierpont’s-upscale food-steak and seafood at Union Station (more on Union Station later)
3. Gram and Dun-an amazing patio on the Country Club Plaza-(The Country Club Plaza is an enjoy outdoor shopping area that is home to lots of other restaurants if Gram and Dun is too busy and beautiful fountains.)
4. Justus Drugstore-located north of the city-creative and ever changing food that is innovative and amazing
5. Marina Grog & Galley-located on a beautiful lake, so you can take in the view while you enjoy your meal
6. The Rieger-grab a cocktail at Manifesto while you are there!
7. Urban Table-farm to table casual
KC has tons of museums, concerts, and activities to fuel your senses. There is never a lack of new things to try! Union Station has rotating exhibits, Science City for the kids, and even a Planetarium. It is located close to Crown Center which is also fantastic place for families. You will find Legoland, the Sealife Aquarium, and Kaleidoscope (provided by Hallmark-place for kids to be creative).
The Nelson Atkins is a fun museum with rotating exhibits, shuttlecocks on the lawn, and plays in the summer. It is also where Leslie took her wedding pics, but we will save that for another day! The WWI Museum is educational and you can go to the top and check out the amazing views of the city! The Roasterie and Boulevard offer tours, so enjoy coffee in the morning and beers in the afternoon!
The city has a welcoming fitness scene where there is something for everyone! Pop up yoga, races, and other fun events lead to adventures around every corner! We participate in Brew to Brew almost every year-it is a fun race from Boulevard Brewery to Free State in Lawrence…yes, it is a 43+ mile relay and it takes all day, but it is a great day! Beer + Running=Unfiltered Adventures!
Shawnee Mission Park is full of running and biking trails, hiking, a marina, a theater in the park, and a great dog park where the pups can swim in the lake.
These are just some of the many things KC has to offer! Please share your adventures too!